Slider

Lazada Philippines

Ube Cupcakes Trial and Recipe

Monday, June 9, 2014


I've been quite wary about the recipes I've been seeing as of late as most have problems-- cupcakes that aren't moist, recipes that call for too little liquid, and so many other problems on flavor and texture. Mom has already been having problems with the products as they're too many but giving them away randomly to neighbors is not her kind of thing either. 

I saw this recipe of Ube Cupcakes on this blog called Samiwich and Addiecakes, and upon inspection of the recipe, I thought that the recipe will more or less be fine. But to ensure that there won't be an excess of leftovers that taste bad, and that everyone will want to eat this someday, I just make a half batch to be sure. And since it was such a waste to open the big oven we had, I just baked them in our toaster oven. As a mold, I put the cupcake liners in metal custard cups. This was to ensure that the product does not come out oval or lopsided. 





And I also did not follow their recipe for the frosting and filling-- I just baked the cupcakes with no special addition to it. 

I think I'd call this a successful batch as the cakes rose evenly, had a desirable texture with a balance of moisture and structure, and for something that I did on a single mixing bowl with no use of a Kitchen Aid and not with exact measurements, I think that this is a good recipe. I might visit their blog again next time for more recipes. 

NOT TO MENTION I forgot to put the boiling water as instructed in the recipe! It's only now as I'm writing this that I realize that I forgot to add boiling water to the mixture. And the cupcakes even turned out perfect. The heck is that?! I have yet to try the recipe again WITH  the boiling water added into the mix... 

Anyways, here's their recipe, in case y'all want to try:

Samiwich and Addiecakes' Ube Cupcakes: 

Ingredients:
6 tbsp ube powder
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
1/2 c milk, room temperature
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
10 drops red food coloring
5 drops blue food coloring
3/4 c boiling water <--- I forgot to add this and yet the cupcakes came out magically perfect XD I don't know now

Procedure: 

1.) Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350˚ F.

2.) Add butter, milk, coconut milk, egg, vanilla and food coloring. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.


3.) Combine ube powder, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.

4.) Add boiling water and beat to combine.

5.) Evenly divide the batter into each cupcake tin and bake for 18-20 minutes.

6.) Let cool before assembly.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Mari-nator . Design by Fearne.